We had the good fortune of connecting with Michael Ivy and we’ve shared our conversation below.

Hi Michael, how has your work-life balance changed over time?
When I was initially getting my footing in my craft, it felt like an 80/20 percent split where 80% of my energy was being put into taking the first steps of legitimizing my career and the other 20% was used to maintain my everyday life. This wasn’t optimal for longevity but I felt it was necessary to build a solid foundation in music. Due to the nature of my work, I have to be flexible with how I balance my life around my artistry. It has fluctuated greatly but these days, it’s a healthier balance. I’d say 60/40 with an eventual projection to be at an even 50/50 very soon.


Can you open up a bit about your work and career? We’re big fans and we’d love for our community to learn more about your work.
Music has been everything for me. It’s my calling and my passion. I can honestly say that it has pushed me to be my most authentic self and has allowed my creativity and personality to mature with it. It has been through the will of my own drive and the support of my family and friends that I have made it to the point where I am now. Being in the south while focusing primarily on underground electronic music has brought its own fair share of obstacles and hardships that I’ve had to overcome and continue to do so. One thing the world should know is that I am not doing this for the world, I’m doing this because it is my life and my modus operandi. Nothing will stop me from adapting to and overcoming barriers my artistry and I hope that my art reflects that.

The Shoutout series is all about recognizing that our success and where we are in life is at least somewhat thanks to the efforts, support, mentorship, love and encouragement of others. So is there someone that you want to dedicate your shoutout to?
I would like to give my incredible family, friends, and bandmates a shoutout. Throughout the uncertainty the pandemic has brought, you all have been instrumental in keeping me grounded and levelheaded as I navigate and elevate my career. Thank you to my mom Donna, and siblings Tirus, Terrica, Jas n Yas; My bandmates and friends Nico, Michael, Danny, and Thomas.

Website: https://kidqemist.bandcamp.com/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/qemmy_/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Qemmyyy

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Qemist420

Nominate Someone: ShoutoutAtlana is built on recommendations and shoutouts from the community; it’s how we uncover hidden gems, so if you or someone you know deserves recognition please let us know here.